'Bride of Belsen' Holocaust survivor who comforted Anne Frank at concentration camp before her death from typhus dies aged 95

Mail Online | 2/1/1923 | Joseph Curtis For Mailonline;Associated Press
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/09/23/4D1842A200000578-0-image-a-22_1528581890953.jpg

A Holocaust survivor who comforted Anne Frank at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp before the Dutch girl's death just one month before the camp was liberated has died aged 95.

Polish native Gena Turgel dedicated her life to sharing the horrific experiences she endured during World War Two and ensure the atrocity would never be forgotten.

'Bride - Belsen - Norman - Turgel - Soldiers

She also became known as the 'Bride of Belsen' after marrying Norman Turgel, one of the British soldiers who liberated Bergen-Belsen.

Her wedding dress, made from parachute silk, is part of the collection of the Imperial War Museum in London.

Mrs - Turgel - Britain - Holocaust - Remembrance

Mrs Turgel attended Britain's annual Holocaust remembrance two months ago in a wheelchair with a blanket draped over her knees.

'My story is the story of one survivor, but it is also the story of 6 million who perished,' she said at the event in London's Hyde Park.

Testimony - Memorial - Men - Women - Children

'Maybe that's why I was spared - so my testimony would serve as a memorial like that candle that I light, for the men, women and children who have no voice.'

Born in Krakow, Poland as Gena Goldfinger on February 1, 1923, Mrs Turgel had to move with her family in 1941 to a Jewish ghetto with only a sack of potatoes, some flour and a few belongings.

Brother - Nazi - SS - Police - Holocaust

One brother was shot by the Nazi SS police and another disappeared after trying to escape, according to the Holocaust Educational Trust in London.

A sister of hers was shot while...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.