Trump ‘Probably’ Backing Bill to Leave Marijuana to States

The Daily Signal | 6/8/2018 | Staff
sally140353 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/Marijuana-Trump.jpg

President Donald Trump on Friday lent tentative support to a bipartisan bill allowing states to regulate marijuana use.

On Thursday, Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., and Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., announced legislation that would amend the Controlled Substance Act to exclude marijuana activities, but includes restrictions such as no distribution to people under the age of 21.

President - Legislation - Move - Actions - Attorney

The president said only that he would “probably” support the legislation. Such a move would conflict with actions by his Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

The bill is called the STATE Act, an acronym for Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States. It is also sponsored in the House by Reps. David Joyce, R-Ohio, and Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore.

Legislation - Trump - Friday - Morning - Marine

Asked if he supported the legislation, Trump said, “I really do” Friday morning, before boarding Marine One enroute to the G7 Summit in Canada.

“I support Sen. Gardner,” Trump told reporters. “I know exactly what he’s doing. We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that.”

Trump - Gardner - Chairman - National - Republican

Trump only referenced Gardner, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the campaign arm for GOP senators. He made no mention of backing a bill co-sponsored by political nemesis Warren.

“States like Massachusetts have put a lot of work into implementing common sense marijuana regulations–and they have the right to enforce their own marijuana policies,” Warren said in a statement announcing the bill. “The federal government needs to get out of the business of outlawing marijuana.”

STATES - Act - Transactions - State - Law

The proposed STATES Act, if passed, would prevent most transactions under state law from violating federal law, but would include safeguards. The proposal:

Affirms transactions compliant with state law are not trafficking or unlawful transaction.

Removes - Hemp - List - Substances - Prohibits

Removes industrial hemp from the list of controlled substances. Prohibits endangering human life while manufacturing marijuana, and prohibits employment of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!