Limits of Progressive Christianity

Juicy Ecumenism | 6/8/2018 | Mark Tooley
sally140353 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Riverside-Church.jpg

Recently an ordained United Methodist clergy who heads a campus ministry in Colorado blogged in Patheos about what he disbelieves as a self-described Progressive Christian:

Friends, Jesus isn’t God. Jesus didn’t die for our sins. Jesus wasn’t killed instead of us. God isn’t wrathful or vindictive. There isn’t a **** (other than ones that we create here on this earth). Going to heaven after we die isn’t what the faith or salvation is about. God didn’t write the Bible.

He also explained:

I do believe that Jesus was divine (in the way that you and I are), and that he’s the 2nd person of the trinity. Christians rightfully honor and celebrate Jesus as a unique and fully incarnate manifestation of God. I don’t believe that he’s literally God (at least not what most people tend to mean by that word). We live and move and have our being in God, so did Jesus. The trinity is a beloved Christian poem of who God is to us. But poems don’t literally define things. Like all art, and theology, they point to what is beyond them.

Version - Christianity

And he offered an updated version of liberal Christianity:

Progressive Christianity isn’t progressive politics. Progressive Christianity is the post-modern influenced evolution of historic mainline liberal Protestant Christianity and it is an heir to the Social Gospel movement. It first took on this name in 2000. It draws from process theology, liberation theology, feminist, womanist and eco-theologies as well.

Protestant - Liberalism - Episcopal - Bishop - John

The old Protestant liberalism was embodied by Episcopal Bishop John Shelby Spong, who gained celebrity in the 1980s writing books denying supernatural Christianity and insisting rationalism was the old way to “save” the faith for younger people. Meanwhile, his Newark Diocese lost nearly half its members under his watch, and the seminars he taught in retirement attracted only old people.

Spong in later years joined...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!