Marcy Carsey Talks ‘Roseanne’: ‘I Am Very Proud of the Show We Did Originally’

Variety | 6/8/2018 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/marcy-carsey.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Marcy Carsey, who produced the original “Roseanne” series, as well as “The Cosby Show,” took time to address controversies surrounding the stars at the ATX Television Festival Friday.

“I am very proud of the show we did originally,” Carsey said. “I didn’t work on this one because I’m not working in television, but I thought the reboot was great work, great job. …A couple hundred people doing really wonderful work — crew, writers — so it’s a shame. …To have that work so well and be so creatively interesting and have it just disappear like that — when everybody thought they had a gig — it’s a shame.”

Carsey - ABC - Decision - Roseanne - ABC

Carsey said she understands why ABC made the decision to cancel “Roseanne” and is “comfortable with it.” She also acknowledged that ABC is doing a “great job” at diversifying internally, in its executive pool. “I think it’s just not what the network wanted to…represent,” she said. She also pointed out that while the desire is often that work can stand apart from the worker, “as a person, it’s tough” for her to separate the two.

Carsey noted that she’s just an observer now, having retired in 2005. She admitted she would have a “difficult time” trying to reboot the show without Roseanne Barr at the center and ultimately “would not.”

Run

“I think I would just say, ‘OK we had a good run,'” she said. “I would just move on.”

Carsey was at the festival to receive the ATX award in television excellence, which is given to individuals in the industry who have worked on groundbreaking television. In addition to “Roseanne,” Carsey’s notable credits include “A Different World,” “That ’70s Show,” “3rd Rock From the Sun” and “The Cosby Show,” the latter which also saw a scandal surrounding sexual assault allegations against its star Bill Cosby. Carsey took...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.