Google removes egg from salad emoji, makes it vegan-friendly

CNET | 6/7/2018 | Amanda Kooser
shardonay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/Buh-U-VG6drXOWya0KvwKW4NQe4=/670x503/2018/06/07/79dbabb7-808f-4bd2-8116-439a0db68782/salad1.jpg

Half a hard-boiled egg is making quite a splash on the internet right now.

Jennifer Daniel, UX-Art Manager of the Expression design team at Google, tweeted about a small tweak to Google's salad emoji for Android P Beta 2. She says there's big talk about inclusion and diversity at Google and points to the example of removing the egg from the emoji, "making this a more inclusive vegan salad."

Daniel - Reference - Ties - Scrutiny - Year

Daniel's reference to inclusion ties in with scrutiny over the past year of Google's corporate culture and how its parent company, Alphabet, handles diversity and equal-pay issues. During Alphabet's annual shareholders meeting this week, some employees even publicly challenged the company to improve diversity in the workplace.

The salad change sparked quite a bit of Twitter chatter. "I'm offended by tomatoes, can you please make an emoji salad without them?" Twitter user Antonis Panayi asked.

Vegans - Phil - Rumney - Emoji - Salad

Some vegans chimed in, with one Phil Rumney asking, "How did I ever cope seeing an emoji salad with an egg in it before Google made it more inclusive for me?!? Thanks Google for saving me from those dastardly eggs."

Some wondered how far this could go, with Twitter user jake asking, "When are y'all removing all dairy related emojis for the lactose intolerant people?"

Aaron - Stewart - Issue - Design - Aspect

Aaron Stewart took issue with a different design aspect of the emoji: "Meanwhile, those of us that only eat salad on plates are still being oppressed by this emoji."

My Android phone is currently running 7.0, which gives me a salad emoji with tomatoes, greens and some unidentifiable yellow bits rather than an obvious egg half. You can see the short history of the green salad emoji at Emojipedia....
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: