I fell in love with the Ember smart mug, and you could, too

CNET | 6/6/2018 | Brian Bennett
eymira (Posted by) Level 3
I fell in love with the Ember Travel Mug. There, I said it. A few months ago the startup behind this $150 travel mug sent me one to review. I strongly believed that it was a colossal waste of money. I still do. I've since packed up and returned the fancy cup to its maker. To my embarrassment I miss it, a lot.

Ember is yet another technology startup promising to reinvent something ordinary into a product we can't live without. In this case it's the humble coffee mug. Ember's revamped cups -- there are ceramic ($80) and travel versions -- use a system of sensors, a heating element and Bluetooth connectivity to maintain drinks at the perfect temperature. The fundamental idea behind the Ember is that each drink has a different and specific heat level for maximum enjoyment.

Ember - Mug - Times - CNET - Smart

I found I couldn't stop using the Ember mug. A few times I forgot it at the CNET Smart Home, at which point I hounded my coworkers still on site to bring it back on their return to the office. Worse, I've considered buying one. There's no chance in **** it would get spousal approval, so it was never a realistic option, but it underlines that this is almost the perfect "thing I would never buy for myself, but would love to receive as a gift."

The Ember Travel Mug keeps hot beverages at exact temperatures.

Cup - Feel - Month - Ember - Trend

How can a computerized cup feel so necessary? After a month or so of using the Ember, I noticed a disturbing trend. When given the choice between the Ember Travel Mug and an ordinary ceramic cup, I always went with the Ember. It happened even when I already own the fancy Zojirushi Travel Mug.

It turns out the appeal is simply down to temperature and taste. Hot coffee...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A slice out of infinity
Tagged: