Remote Controlled: Julianna Margulies on Playing a Character ‘Like Trump’ on ‘Dietland’

Variety | 6/1/2018 | Debra Birnbaum
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/julianna-margulies-remote-controlled-podcast.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Welcome to “Remote Controlled,” a podcast from Variety featuring the best and brightest in television, both in front of and behind the camera.

In this week’s episode, Variety‘s executive editor of TV, Debra Birnbaum, talks with Julianna Margulies, who’s making her return to series TV with AMC’s new drama “Dietland.”

Margulies - Role - Run - Wife - Marti

Margulies says she wasn’t necessarily looking for another role after finishing her 7-year run on “The Good Wife,” but she was completely “taken” by Marti Noxon’s scripts — and the opportunity to play a character unlike anything she’d played before. “I always play the girl with her heart on the sleeve. I do miss Alicia Florrick. I still miss Carol Hathaway, but this was so far away from who they are,” she says. “The role of Kitty Montgomery, she’s such a ****, and she has no moral center. I consider her a little bit like Trump, in that she just wants to win, whether it’s right or wrong. She likes to believe her own hype.”

Montgomery is the editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine, who employs Joy Nash’s Plum Kettle to ghost write her letters for her. But Margulies worked with Noxon and the writers to make sure she was more than just a one-note caricature. “I feel selfish, because truthfully, I get the best lines,” she admits. “I get the best clothes, and I have the best schedule. I feel like I’ve finally arrived, to be honest.”

TV - Review - 'Dietland

TV Review: 'Dietland'

Margulies praises Nash, who’s marking her own debut as the lead in a major series. “I was so happy to be on the train with her, to just guide her through moments of exhaustion,” she says. Among the advice she imparted: the 20-minute nap rule. “No more than 20 minutes or it’s too much. No less than 20 minutes is not enough,” she says. “I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.