Weights & Biases raises $5M to build development tools for machine learning

TechCrunch | 5/31/2018 | Anthony Ha
Kezzerxx (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/unnamed3.jpg?w=462

Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/unnamed3.jpg

Machine learning is one of those buzzwords that nearly every tech company likes to throw around nowadays — but according to Lukas Biewald, it represents a genuinely new approach to programming.

“Software has eaten a lot of the world, and machine learning is eating software,” Biewald said.

View - Differences - Approaches - Difference - Code

In his view, there are “fundamental” differences between the two approaches: “One important difference is if all you have is the code you used to train the program, you don’t really know what happened … If I had all the code that was used to train a self-driving car algorithm but I don’t have the data, I don’t know what went down.”

Along with Chris Van Pelt, Biewald previously founded CrowdFlower (now known as Figure Eight), which launched nearly a decade ago at the TechCrunch 50 conference, and which has created tools for training artificial intelligence.

Biewald - College - Van - Pelt - Google

Biewald (who I’ve known since college) and Van Pelt, plus former Google engineer Shawn Lewis, have now started a new company called Weights and Biases to build new tools for machine learning developers. They’ve also raised $5 million in Series A funding from Trinity Ventures and Bloomberg Beta.

“Artificial Intelligence has so much potential, but few companies are implementing it yet because the development process is too complicated for all but a small number of highly trained engineers,” said Trinity’s Dan Scholnick, who’s joining the startup’s board of directors. (Scholnick previously backed CrowdFlower.) “W&B aims to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!