The Americans Finale Debrief: The EPs on Philip and Elizabeth's Decision, Stan's Fate and That Final Montage

TVLine | 5/30/2018 | Dave Nemetz
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/the-americans-series-finale-philip-elizabeth.jpg?w=1024

Warning: The following post contains spoilers from Wednesday’s series finale of The Americans. Don’t peek behind this iron curtain if you don’t want to know.

We were expecting bloodshed… and we shed tears instead.

FX - Cold - War - Spy - Americans

FX’s Cold War spy drama The Americans drew to a close on Wednesday with a magnificently heart-wrenching series finale that, shockingly, didn’t end with any characters dying. Instead, Philip and Elizabeth fled back to their homeland of Russia physically unscathed… but without their children Paige and Henry, who both remained back in America. (Henry was left out of the loop entirely, but Paige chose to ditch her parents and get off a train just before it crossed the border to Canada.) Stan confronted the Jennings family with his suspicions, and got them to come clean — but let them escape without stopping them. Oh, and Philip warned Stan that his wife Renee might be a spy, too (!).

After we downed a ceremonial shot of vodka to steady our nerves, TVLine reached out to executive producers Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields to dissect the series finale. Read on for their take on Philip and Elizabeth’s “new start,” why they decided to not reveal Renee’s true identity… and how they chose an iconic U2 hit as the soundtrack for one last ’80s montage.

TVLINE - | - Series - Mind - Season

TVLINE | You’ve said that you’ve had the ending for the series in mind since Season 2. So how closely did this ending match what you had back then?

JOE WEISBERG | Joel and I were just having a conversation about this earlier: I think that Joel thinks it’s identical, and I think it’s almost identical.

TVLINE - Series - Finale - START - Refers

TVLINE | The series finale is titled “START,” and that refers to the U.S.-Soviet arms treaty, but is that ending also a new start for Philip and Elizabeth, and their marriage?

JOEL FIELDS | I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.