Missional Small Groups: 3 Keys

ChurchLeaders | 5/27/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/3.28.CC.SMALLGROUP.BeingMissional.jpg

It’s one of the words that have become in vogue in our church culture lexicon is missional. My auto spell check always changes it to “mission” or “missionary.” My internal conversation goes something like this…”no, no it’s missional, you know missional…to, well, umm” and my mind moves to an outdated term I have long understood…evangelism, but even that doesn’t quit capture the nuance of being missional.

In seeking to understand this better and to make sure I wasn’t missing anything attached to this modern term, I came across an article by Alan Hirsch, the director of The Forge Mission Training Network, called “Defining Missional.” It’s a great read and I love the definition he gave.

Church - People - Life - Believer - Missionaries

“It’s more that just outreach…that leaves it up to the church to go out and get people to move. It applies to the whole life of every believer. We are all missionaries sent out to a non-Christian culture. As the people of a missionary God, we ought to engage the world the same way he does—by going out rather than just reaching out.”

So how do we “go out” rather than “reach out”? For me that means wherever and whenever I “go out” I should be sharing the love of Jesus non-verbally or verbally…applying it to “my whole life as a believer.” Now we are making it personal and public. Interesting!

Groups - Campus - Bit - Challenge - People

I have been working to incorporate this into the small groups on our campus and finding it to be a bit of a challenge to move our people from consumer, to server, to invitation giver. Below are three ways to make small groups missional.

#1. We need to build missionality into the natural rhythms of our small groups as well as leadership training.

Way - Love - Jesus - Others

How can we serve in an engaging way to demonstrate the love of Jesus and invite others...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: