Learning to Love the “Habit” of Spirituality

Carl McColman | 5/26/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2018/05/shutterstock_232845250-2.jpg

We human beings are creatures of habit.

We brush our teeth in the same direction, we take the same route to work, we fold our clothes or make our beds in pretty much the same manner day after day. We like to sit in the same pews at church and eat the same kinds of candy bars. We shop in our favorite stores and sometimes we even have a particular method of shopping (look at the clearance rack first, then go for the new arrivals, and finally zero in on the item we actually need).

Above - People - Blog - Habits

Maybe you don’t do all of the above, but I suspect most people reading this blog have at least some of these habits.

We want to break our bad habits (there are those candy bars again) and learn some new ones (why is the treadmill so boring?). We laugh at how predictable we are, and we excuse our grandparents because they are “set in their ways.” But truth be told, a five-year-old can be just as anchored in habits (good or bad) as any octogenarian. If we love a habit, we say we’re in our groove, and when it makes us restless, we decide we’re in rut. But either way, our habits shape our days.

Something - Rituals - Prayers - Meaning - Motions

Here’s something I find interesting: even though we all . We say we don’t like “empty rituals” and that “rote prayers” don’t have much meaning for us. Nothing seems to be worse than just “going through the motions” when it comes to our faith.

Why do we feel this way? I think it’s because we want our relationship with God to be alive, spontaneous, authentic. We crave genuine intimacy with God — not just some mechanical pattern that we cycle through mindlessly. In other words, we want to be wide awake when it comes to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Governemnt sponsored segratation of America, one household at a time.