Mindy Kaling’s Comedy ‘Champions:’ Lonely Gay Boys Grow Up to Be 'Super-Christian Congressmen'

NewsBusters | 5/26/2018 | Staff
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/image-1_1_1.jpg

Mindy Kaling’s ultra-liberal comedy Champions on NBC has three favorite targets - Christians, whites and men. The show’s double-episode finale on Friday (“Opening Night” and “Deal or No Deal”) was no exception, insinuating that devoutly Christian congressmen are just gay men who didn’t have anyone to confide in when they were young.

They also beat their last documented record of five jabs towards whites and, while men almost escaped unscathed this time, the writers got a hint of male-bashing in just before the second episode ended. We were also schooled on how dangerous guns supposedly are, even when used for self-protection, despite the fact that the user seemed to have zero training in how to handle and use one properly.

Champions - Centers - Brothers - Vince - Anders

Champions centers around two single brothers, Vince (Anders Holm) and Matthew (Andy Favreau), who share an apartment in New York. Vince ends up being confronted by the 15-year-old son he never knew he had, Michael (J.J. Totah), who happens to be gay and moves in with his father to pursue theater in New York.

In Friday’s first episode, “Opening Night,” Michael’s mother Priya (Mindy Kaling) shows up and wants to bring Michael back home with her to Cleveland, which leads to an argument with Vince:

Priya - Look - Michael - Parent - Instance

Priya: Look, I think it would be better if Michael had a parent that he could open up to. For instance, did you know that he has a crush on Gregg?

Vince: Gregg, who plays the harp? He hates Gregg. He said he was gag-worthy.

Priya - Yeah - Gay - Age - Gay

Priya: Yeah, that's gay for good. This is a delicate age. If a young gay man doesn't have someone to confide in, he could become a super-Christian congressman.

There were also six different jabs at whites in both episodes, continuing the show’s favorite obsession and tradition of not being able to go more than five minutes without...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?