Black ballet dancer candidly documents her depression on Instagram 

Mail Online | 5/24/2018 | Danielle Zoellner For Dailymail.com
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/24/16/4C976BFC00000578-0-image-a-30_1527176529904.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/05/24/6439016660174090859/1024x576_MP4_6439016660174090859.mp4

A professional ballerina has candidly documented her struggles with depression on Instagram while trying to succeed in an industry that focuses on body image.

Sydney Magruder Washington is a third-generation dancer who lives in New York City with her wife while working as a professional ballerina.

Years - Health - Struggles - Lack - People

About three years ago, she decided to start posting about mental health and her own struggles with accepting herself because she realized there was a lack in people talking openly about depression and anxiety.

'I was sharing mostly because I’m kind of an open book,' Sydney told Health Magazine. 'I wanted to crush my own shame about how I felt about it.'

Sydney - Instagram - Account - Followers - Life

Sydney uses her Instagram account to connect with her followers about her life - including being a part of the black, LGBT, and dance community.

'I don’t know anyone who identifies exactly how I do, and that’s fine,' she told the magazine. 'But I wish I had had someone to talk to about specific issues that I've had to work out on my own. That’s why I share with others who come after me.'

Conversation - Health - Battle - Disorder - Disorder

She also has used it to open the conversation about mental health, including her battle with major depressive disorder and panic disorder.

In one of her posts, Sydney explained how her new medication to help with her anxiety and depression has caused her to gain weight. This has added stress to her life because she works in an industry that expects...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!