3 Things You Must Do With Every Point You Make in Your Sermons

ChurchLeaders | 5/24/2018 | Staff
nallynally (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/5.25everypoint.jpg

You make points in every sermon you preach. You try to communicate at least one point. One idea. One bottom line. You may have one major point but a number of supporting points. The point is, you make points. Get the point? So, what do you do with every point you make? Is it enough just to say the words. “My main point is _________. OK, let’s close in prayer.” Well, we both know that would be insufficient.

We have to do more than just say a point for it to stick. But how do we do this? How do we develop sticky points that land on people in powerful ways? I suggest doing at least three things with every point you make in your sermons. Using these as a base line allows you to do more if you’d like, but make sure you’re at least doing these three things:

Point - Point - Concept - Backing - Words

1. Teach the point. When you teach the point you are explaining the concept and providing the biblical backing. In other words, you are showing how you derived the principle from the Scripture as you connect it back to the text. This is an important part of making a point. You want to be able to demonstrate that it is not just your musings, but it comes from Scripture.

In this step you teach the concept of the point. In other words, you should answer the question your listeners will have when you introduce an idea: “What do you mean?”

Example - Simple - Point - Sermon - Point

If this is murky, let me use an example of a super simple point you could make in your sermon. Let’s say your point is: God loves you. You may teach this point by referencing John 3:16 and showing your listeners that God loves them so much he gave his one and only son...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
He is faithful!
Tagged: