A town called Alice! Meet the midwife in Liberia who delivered her first baby at gunpoint - and is loved by so many new mothers that 1,000 of them have named their babies after her

Mail Online | 5/24/2018 | David Williams For Mailonline
joyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/23/14/4C8E4A9700000578-0-image-a-9_1527083522728.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/05/24/6661527768963199010/1024x576_MP4_6661527768963199010.mp4

Alice Sumo is unique – a midwife whose love, care and dedication has helped create a 'town called Alice' with grateful mothers naming an extraordinary 1,000 babies after her.

For during nearly three tumultuous decades in Liberia's Montserrado County that has seen civil war, humanitarian crisis and Ebola scar her homeland, Alice, whose name means 'peace', has worked through all the dangers to deliver babies.

Legacy - Rural - Community - West - Country

Her magnificent legacy is that in the tough rural community where she works in the north west of the country there are more than 1,000 children called Alice together with their local male equivalents of Alex and Ellis.

Aid workers believe it is without precedent that so many children have been named after one midwife.

Alice - Baby - Gunpoint - Roadside - War

Now 48, Alice delivered her first baby at gunpoint on a roadside during the civil war of 1990, before she had even qualified as a midwife after seeing a gunman standing over a pregnant women threatening to kill her if she did not stop screaming.

Alice recalled: 'She was screaming and screaming. There was an armed man there shouting, 'Is there nobody to help? We'll kill the woman because we don't want her screaming. When I heard him say that I said 'No! Don't kill her, I can do the delivery.

'I - Woman - Gunmen - Delivery - Right

'I wasn't fully qualified but the woman kept screaming and the gunmen said, 'If you don't do the delivery right and something happen to that woman, I will kill you.' I said, 'Oh don't kill me, I will do my best.' I was afraid, but I carried on her delivery.'

There was no razor blade to cut the cord so I bust a bottle and I cut the [umbilical] cord with that. But then the baby became quiet and the man said, 'But why the baby not crying? I will shoot...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!