Set aside old grudges; Church Fathers: Day 294

The Catholic Book Blogger | 5/23/2018 | Staff
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/catholicbookblogger/files/2018/01/st_jerome-branded-spotlight-2.jpg

St. Jerome was known for his hot temper and for some reason—we don’t know why—had not been on speaking terms with his own aunt for a long time. Here he writes her a letter begging for a reconciliation, remembering that he will be judged if he cannot forgive his old grudges.

The Apostle and evangelist John rightly says that “any one who hates his brother is a murderer” (1 John 3:15). For since hate often leads to murder, the one who hates, even if he hasn’t killed his victim yet, has murder in his heart.

Way - Just - Grudges - Hearts - Home

Why (you ask) do I begin this way? Just so that you and I may both set aside our grudges of the past and cleanse our hearts to be a home for God. “Be angry, but sin not,” says David; or, as the Apostle expresses it more completely, “do not let the sun go down on your anger” (Ephesians 4:26). Then what will we do on the day of judg­ment, when we’ve let the sun go down on our anger, not one day, but many years?

The Lord says in the Gospel, “So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift” (Matthew 5:23-24).

Woe

Woe to me, wretch that I am! I was just about to say, woe to you as well....
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Catholic Book Blogger
Wake Up To Breaking News!