Church Growth Is Okay, but Church Health Is What Matters

Pastors.com | 11/3/2015 | Website
Click For Photo: http://pastors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Trees.jpg

The New Testament says a lot about the health of the church. Consider just a few verses:

“As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing” (Ephesians 4:16 NLT).

Focus - Letter - Offender - Responsibility - Health

“The focus of my letter wasn’t on punishing the offender but on getting you to take responsibility for the health of the church” (2 Corinthians 2:9 The Message).

“You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other” (James 3:18 The Message).

Things - Organisms - Parent - Children - Hindrances

All living things grow if they’re healthy. You don’t have to make them grow — it’s just natural for living organisms. As a parent, I didn’t have to force my three children to grow. They naturally grew up. As long as I removed the hindrances, such as poor nutrition or an unsafe environment, their growth was automatic.

If my children had not grown up, something would have been terribly wrong. I would have done whatever it took to discover the disease and correct it. I wouldn’t have remained passive, spouting clichés about faithfulness, or wanting “quality not quantity” in my children.

Principle - Church - Church - Living - Organism

The same principle is true for the church. Since the church is a living organism, it’s natural for it to grow if it’s healthy. The church is a body, not a business — an organism, not an organization. It’s alive. If a church is not growing, it is dying.

What then is the secret of church health?

Word - Balance

In a word, it’s balance!

Your body has nine different systems (including circulatory, respiratory, digestive, and skeletal). When these systems are all in balance, it produces health. But when your body gets out of balance, we call that “disease.” Likewise, when the body of Christ becomes unbalanced,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Pastors.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: