Chilean bishop suspends 12 priests, apologizes for not acting sooner

Catholic News Agency | 5/21/2018 | Staff
lukealukea (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Bishop_Alejandro_Goic_Karmelic_Credit_Warko2006_CC_30_CNA.jpg

Rancagua, Chile, May 21, 2018 / 12:23 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Over the weekend, Chilean Bishop Alejandro Goić Karmelić suspended several priests after allegations of sexual misconduct were raised against them. He apologized for not following up when the accusations were first brought to his attention.

“I would like to ask forgiveness for my actions in this case,” the bishop said in a May 19 statement.

Goić - Diocese - Rancagua - Swiftness - Woman

Goić, who heads the diocese of Rancagua, said he “acted without the proper swiftness” when a woman came to him nearly a year ago with concerns regarding the conduct of Fr. Luis Rubio and other priests.

Goić's apology came the day after a program detailing accusations against Rubio was aired on Chile's TV13 channel, the same station that leaked Pope Francis' 10-page letter to Chilean bishops chastising them for a systematic cover-up of clerical abuse and calling them to institute deep changes.

Program - May - Day - Goić - May

The program was aired May 18, the day after Goić returned from the May 15-17 meeting with Pope Francis. It focuses on the testimony of Eliza Fernandez, a youth minister in the parish of Paredones who approached the bishop last year with concerns about Fr. Rubio's behavior, particularly with minors.

Rubio had been part of a priestly fraternity referred to as “La Familia,” several of whose members have been accused of sexual misconduct, including the abuse of minors.

Brotherhood - Sect - Group - Priests - Practices

“I do not know whether to call it a brotherhood, a sect, or a group of priests who have practices that do not conform to their status as clerics; and with respect to young people,” Fernandez said in the program, adding that the confraternity had shown an unnatural interest in youth who were 'between 15 and 29 years old,' and that some publicly joked about being homosexual.

In the program, Rubio admitted to sending nude photos of himself to a Facebook account...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!