‘American Idol’ Recap: Katy Perry Calls Finale Part 1 a ‘Disaster’

Variety | 5/21/2018 | Gabi Chepurny
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/american-idol-top-3-seacrest-e1526913449112.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Sunday nights live taping of “American Idol” will determine who takes home the crown this season.

During part one of the finale the final three contestants, Gabby Barrett, Caleb Lee Hutchinson and Maddie Poppe each performed three songs to vie for the top spot. Voting takes place overnight until Monday at 9 am ET. One contender will be eliminated during the first hour of Monday nights taping, leaving the winner to be announced during the second hour.

Week - IHeartRadio - Host - Bobby - Bones

This week, iHeartRadio host Bobby Bones mentored Barrett, Hutchinson and Poppe, whose set lists included an original single, a repeat of their favorite song performed so far and a hometown dedication, after going back to their respective hometowns to perform for their communities.

Barrett, who dedicated Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” to her hometown of Pittsburgh, Pa., was surprised to find that she was singing in front of Steve Perry, former Journey lead singer who fronted the band as they made the song a hit. Perry congratulated Barrett on her performance, saying it was the best version he had ever heard.

Insane - Gosh - Idea - Honor - Version

“That was insane. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh.’ I had no idea he was coming, that was such an honor. He said that my version was the best version he’s ever heard. Just seeing him here and being able to sing his song in front of him was such an honor,” Barrett said.

Ryan Seacrest Talks Rebooting 'American Idol' and Kelly Clarkson Going to 'The Voice'

Poppe - Iowa - Native - Fleetwood - Mac

Poppe, an Iowa native, dedicated Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” to her hometown of Clarksville. “They said, ‘You need to pick a hometown dedication song,’ and I thought, that was the very first song that I ever sang in front of my town, like, that I ever sung for anyone. I couldn’t even play guitar at the time, so I sang it as a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!