Kerry in Abu Dhabi Swipes Trump Policies: US ‘Cannot Turn its Back on The World’

CNS News | 5/21/2018 | Staff
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/kerryuaeyt1.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – Former Secretary of State John Kerry, in a speech in the Middle East Sunday, implicitly criticized President Trump for policies such as withdrawing from the Paris climate accord, saying that the United States “needs to build partnerships and cannot turn its back on the world.”

On climate change, he told graduates at New York University Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, “the reaction of some people my friends, is to play to the lowest common denominator of common politics. Close the doors, pull back from the world and pretend that we can solve problems by ourselves – for ourselves, too.”

Borders - Nations - World

“I want to make it clear: We won’t win, any of us, ultimately, by retreating within our borders, by focusing on our own nations only, and going it alone,” he said, adding that the world is “too interconnected” for that to work.

Kerry did not mention Trump by name. But he spoke about a political culture in the U.S. where facts were distorted and civil discourse was threatened.

True - Discourse - Threat - Planet - Rights

“True civil discourse is also under threat all around the planet, eroding rights alongside trust,” he said. “Certainly in my country, our politics has become almost all accusatory, all bombastic.”

“We leap to a conclusion. I’m wrong, you’re right. I’m right, you’re wrong, back and forth, without any intervening exchange.”

End - Friends - How - Society - Decisions

“And in the end, my friends, we’re left asking: How in a civil society can you make important decisions, that build a consensus of support, if you can’t even agree on what the facts are?”

“The way we win the future is by recognizing the importance of truth, the importance of integrity … the importance of being able to win by restoring a baseline of facts to global decision making,” Kerry said.

Kerry - NYU - President - Andrew - Hamilton

In introducing Kerry, NYU President Andrew Hamilton outlined his career, and described him as “a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!