David Robert Mitchell Says There’s A Secret Mystery Hidden Within The Secret Mystery Of ‘Under The Silver Lake’ — Cannes Q&A

Deadline | 5/16/2018 | Joe Utichi
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/ddh-_-disruptors-dialogue43703-1.jpg?w=605

Keep an eye out for odd symbols dotted throughout, and keep an ear on the bird; there’s a secret mystery for the audience alone to solve sewn into the fabric of David Robert Mitchell’s Under the Silver Lake, which premiered in Cannes’ official competition last night, and the director tells Deadline all the clues are there to solve it. Though it might take multiple viewings to catch them all. “You’ll probably have to see it a few more than two times to figure it all out,” he laughs.

Under the Silver Lake follows Andrew Garfield’s Sam around the City of Angels as he investigates the sudden disappearance of the girl next door he’d met just the night before. It’s a noir-tinged homage to Hollywood history, with shades of and references to Hitchcock, Lynch and Borzage, with a central mystery that the Mitchell says was painstakingly architected to work just so. Perhaps it’s no wonder that, on the way, he folded a second audience-only mystery into the film. But where it might lead, and what reward or revelation lies at its end, may take a while to become apparent. And, like the mystery in the film, solving it will likely involve dips into to many pop cultural inspirations at its core.

Mitchell - Shades - Autobiography - Plenty - Detail

As Mitchell explains, there are also shades of autobiography and plenty of specific detail in this unique love letter to (and, perhaps, indictment of) Los Angeles and the many colorful characters that inhabit its hip Silver Lake neighborhood. And it’s another new direction for the director, whose debut, The Myth of the American Sleepover, offered a fresh take on the teen coming-of-age drama, and whose last film, It Follows, injected new blood into the horror genre.

What was the spark for this story?

Sort

I was sort of running myself ragged. I was on a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!