Preaching for Youth: Finding Topics for Youth Sermons

ChurchLeaders | 5/15/2018 | Staff
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1.29.CC.YOUTH_.SermonIdeas.jpg

Youth sermon topics can be a challenge for any youth leaders and youth pastors. If you are one of them, don’t beat yourself up over it. You’re not the only one and it’s quite normal, especially when you have to preach every Sunday. How do you keep coming up with fresh topics?

In two earlier posts in the series on Preaching for youth we discussed what to keep in mind when choosing topics to preach on for youth and the two routes to finding a topic, namely the expository route and the topical route. In this post we’ll give you three approaches on how to find a great topic for your next youth sermon.

Research - Stories - Generation - Fuller - Youth

Research has shown that stories appeal greatly to this postmodern generation. The Fuller Youth Institute has done extensive research on the topic of ‘sticky faith,’ meaning faith that lasts throughout the college years and after. Their findings confirm that stories matter, that stories have impact.

Questions to help you find youth sermons for youth:

Story - Bible - Story - Share - Insights

What (unfamiliar) story in the Bible can you use to preach on? What familiar story can you use to share new and fresh insights?

Example: I’d heard the story of David and Goliath many times, but when I read Max Lucado’s Facing Your Giants, I got a whole new perspective which I promptly used for a sermon in a youth service.

Study - Story

Can you translate a ‘topical study’ into a story?

Example: You want to preach on being satisfied with what you have, not always wanting more. You could use the story of David and Bathsheba to illustrate this point.

Story - News - Starting - Point - Sermon

Is there a current story in the news you can use as a starting point for a sermon? Or an older, famous one they may not know yet?

Example: Think of stories like the guy who cut off his own arm to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: