Wednesday Writing Prompt: 10 Books That Never Leave You

Irreverin | 5/16/2018 | Staff
bluelilly (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/333/2018/05/featured.jpg

Anne Shirley. Anne-with-an-E. She will always be the heroine of my childhood. And, the more I think about it, of my grown self as well.

Last week we talked about using the Facebook 10 album challenge as a writing prompt. Thinking through the most formative music of your life and sharing it, incrementally, with an element of personal narrative can serve as a great exercise in spiritual formation. Obviously, now we have to do the same thing with books.

Books - Favorites - Books - Way - Heart

As I think through my 10 most formative books, they are not necessarily my favorites. Some are actually books I hated, but that challenged me in some way. But first in my heart, always, is Anne of Green Gables. I remember reading most of it the summer I was 10, sitting on the back patio hiding from my then-2-year-old brother. It was the summer I learned the joy of snacking and reading at the same time. I think there is more than one ice cream stain on my well-worn copy.

But of course, my real love was Anne herself. Anne who talked too much; used too-big words; was constantly writing stories when she was supposed to be doing other things; and had a wild imagination that could not be contained by the geographical boundaries of Prince Edward Island. I was totally that kid. And while I had a couple of frisbee-playing and bike-riding friends in the neighborhood (hi, Jason!) I didn’t really have many friend friends at that point in my life … as in, people who got me. People who could listen to my endless rambling daydreams without rolling their eyes.

Tribe - School - College - Adult - Life

I found that tribe in junior high. And high school. And college. My adult life has been filled with fellow dreamers and incessant talkers. But fourth grade was lonelier terrain. Anne Shirley was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: