‘NOW I HAVE FREED HIM,’ SAYS MALAYSIA’S MAHATHIR AS ANWAR WALKS

South China Morning Post | 5/16/2018 | Staff
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn3.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/700x400/public/images/methode/2018/05/16/f33eeb30-58d3-11e8-a7d9-186ba932a081_image_hires_194904.jpg?itok=e6k7RYE8

MORE ON

After Anwar’s pardon, when will Mahathir let him take power in Malaysia?

Anwar - Ibrahim - Veteran - Pakatan - Harapan

Anwar Ibrahim, the Malaysian political veteran who helped build the Pakatan Harapan coalition that swept to power in elections last week, has been freed after being jailed during the tenure of the scandal-haunted deposed premier Najib Razak.

The 70-year-old, who was granted a full pardon by the country’s King Muhammad V. Anwar, had been serving a five year jail term – his second prison sentence in two decades – for a sodomy conviction he says was trumped up.

Past - Prison - Prime - Minister - Mahathir

“In the past it was said that I put him in prison. Now I have freed him,” Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, after Anwar’s release.

Anwar was Mahathir’s deputy premier during his first stint as prime minister, before he was sacked in 1998 and later imprisoned for sodomy and corruption.

Anwar - Conviction - Prison - Sentence - Result

Anwar maintains that, like his latest conviction, that prison sentence was a result of trumped up charges to remove him from frontline politics.

Anwar on Wednesday said he had forgiven Mahathir, 92, adding that it was the current premier who helped facilitate his release.

Mahathir - Anwar - Comments - Plans - Leader

Mahathir reiterated Anwar’s comments earlier that there were no immediate plans for the younger leader to join the cabinet following his release from prison.

“He is not a member of government, therefore his role will be in the party,” Mahathir said, referring to the ruling Pakatan Harapan coalition of which Anwar’s Parti Keadilan Rakyat (People’s Justice Party) is the biggest party.

Press - Conference - Anwar - Plan - Lecture

In an earlier press conference Anwar said his immediate plan was to go on a lecture circuit in leading universities around the world to spread the message of moderate Islam.

The premier meanwhile gave an update on investigations into the 1MDB corruption scandal, which his defeated predecessor Najib Razak is allegedly linked to.

Mahathir - Officials

Mahathir said officials are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: South China Morning Post
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.