12 Tips to Supercharge Your VBS

ChurchLeaders | 5/15/2018 | Staff
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/5.16.CC.CHILDREN.SuperchargeVBS.jpg

Vacation Bible Schools, kids camps and sports camps are fabulous ways to reach out to your community, but they don’t just appear out of the sky. You know well (really well) that it takes a lot of sweat and hard work to make your summer event even happen. But, can you make your VBS the place to be this summer? The short answer is a resounding yes. You can have a supercharged VBS right now, in your church, with your current resources.

As a children’s pastor, I’ve led a lot of VBS events and kids camps. For many years the events were good, but nothing spectacular. That’s when I changed my approach and implemented new principles. At one church I served in we went from around 80 kids per VBS to over 300 kids. Our VBS Family service actually beat our Easter attendance two years in a row. VBS became our church’s favorite week of the year.

Word

Get the word out.

If they don’t know about your VBS they won’t come. So, how do you stand out in a city where 80 other churches are all hosting summer events? First of all, don’t promote like everyone else. Think differently.

Tip - Mail - Works - Mailers - Neighborhoods

Tip #1: Direct mail works. We used direct mailers to target specific neighborhoods, especially those close to our church with lots of families. By targeting specific rural routes you can avoid the high costs of sending to an entire zip code. Be sure to offer an online registration method so they can register as soon as the family receives the card.

Tip #2: Give back. One of our most popular methods was giving away free snow cones at a local Wal-Mart. We offered them free of charge to any adult, child, or employee who asked for one. If they wanted a flyer we would hand one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.
Tagged: