ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass

wdtprs.com | 5/15/2018 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
princia (Posted by) Level 3

QUAERITUR:

My parish has been assigned a parochial administrator. Since he has arrived, we have had nearly weekly post-homily announcements. What I mean is that our priests finish their homily and the parochial administrator or someone from the finance committee then says something like “we will be reading a letter from the Archbishop” or “we will be reporting on…” after the Eucharist. The sub-text is “don’t walk out! We have something to say.”

Thing - Priests - Peace - OK - Annoyance

It is very distracting but the last thing our priests need is critique so I have held my peace. Is it OK to do that? I want to know if it is just my annoyance or whether a post-homily announcement is not supposed to be done.

Alas, we live in a fallen world. As St. Augustine explains in City of God announcements during Mass are a result of original sin. No… wait… it’s government that’s the result of original sin. You get my drift.

Announcements - People - Diligent - Inquiries - Faith

Ideally, we wouldn’t have to make announcements. People would do their own diligent inquiries – because the love their faith and their parish – by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!