Autistic boy, seven, is bullied by his classmates for dressing as a 'geeky' scientist on his school's 'dream job' day

Mail Online | 5/14/2018 | Phoebe Southworth For Mailonline
jolan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/05/14/11/4C36EF1200000578-0-image-a-2_1526292383155.jpg

A seven-year-old boy with autism was given a VIP tour of a university's science department after his classmates mocked his 'geeky' scientist outfit.

Jamie Witcombe, from Harlow in Essex, had dressed up for his school's dream job day, wearing green trousers, a shirt and a laminated ID badge. He even carried a magnifying glass.

Pupils - Outfit

But he came home 'deflated' after being teased by other pupils who thought his non-traditional outfit looked silly.

His mother Nicola was upset that her son might be discouraged from pursuing a career in science and posted a heartfelt message about the incident on social media.

Jamie - 'Scientists - Clothes - Outfit

She described how Jamie had asked her: 'Scientists wear their own clothes don't they mummy?!' and picked out his own outfit.

'He insisted he wanted a fancy "swishy" ID card so I found a Pinterest one and made it up with a swishy clip, even laminated it!' she wrote.

'He - Morning - Poor - Man - Tonight

'He was very happy this morning. Poor little man was so deflated tonight'

Her message was seen by a member of staff at the University of Sheffield who was 'incensed' that he had been mocked by his classmates.

Day - Science - Jamie - Campus - Youngster

A magical day of science was then arranged for Jamie at the campus to show the youngster that he shouldn't be disheartened by mean comments.

During the exciting trip he was introduced to robotics, used virtual reality to explore the human body and studied zebrafish.

Jamie - Day - 'Thank - Day

Jamie said after the fun-filled day: 'Thank you for making my day...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!