Alfie Evans’ Death was Murder by Judicial Fiat

Public Catholic | 5/12/2018 | Staff
samtetley (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/publiccatholic/files/2016/12/father-baby-parent.jpg

I haven’t commented on the tragic death of Alfie Evans. I’ve reached a point in my life where these brutal acts of death-dealing coercion that governments lay on suffering people sadden me too deeply.

But I am seeing good Christians veer off into the intellectual and moral weeds in their discussion about what happened. I think someone needs to clarify a bit.

Alfie - Evans - Death - Anyone - Brain

Alfie Evans’ death was not euthanasia. It also was not “justified” because those who killed him said that “he was going to die anyway.” Anyone with half a brain can knock holes in that argument just by taking it to its illogical conclusion.

Another rhubarb floating around the internet is that removing Alfie from the respirator was morally justified because Catholic teaching says that we are not required to engage in “extraordinary means” to prolong life. While it’s true that Catholic teaching does contain a version of that statement, it comes with a number of caveats, and — this is the salient point — always involves consent.

Doctors - Courts - Catholic - Alfie - Parents

What the doctors and courts did was not morally justified. It is not “covered” by Catholic teaching. Alfie’s parents not only did not consent, they fought to keep their baby on the respirator.

So, if Alfie’s death was not euthanasia, and it was not morally justified, what was it? The answer, in blunt terms, is that Alfie Evans’ death was murder by judicial fiat. Here’s why.

Alfie - Condition - Experts - Situation - Possibility

As I understand it, Alfie had a fatal medical condition which had deteriorated to what medical experts concluded was a hopeless situation with no possibility of meaningful recovery. He was being kept alive by use of a respirator. Everyone involved, including Alfie’s parents, seems to agree that this was the situation.

I assume that the attending physician recommended that Alfie’s parents consent to taking him...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Public Catholic
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: