WNBA Player Complains that NBA Players Get More Attention

Trending | 5/11/2018 | John Ellis
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://static.pjmedia.com/trending/user-content/51/files/2018/05/download-7.sized-770x415xc.png

In case you've never heard of her, Elena Delle Donne is a WNBA star. The current WNBA leader in career scoring average, Donne is a past league MVP winner who plays for the Washington Mystics, my hometown team. And I had never heard of her before today. During an interview with ESPN's Outside the Lines, Donne complained that the reason I and many others aren't familiar with her and her fellow WNBA players is because Adam Silver and the NBA do a poor job of promoting women's basketball.

The interview was prompted by a tweet Donne sent to ESPN's Michelle Beadle that said, "We continue to cover the negatives of the WNBA as a league and it's exhausting. We ... don't get the support and coverage we deserve. We train hard, hone our craft, play our hearts out and are the best in the world. We absolutely do not get promoted as our counterparts do. Yes, I'm talking about the NBA. When you put millions of dollars into marketing athletes and allow fans to get to know the players they develop a connection."

Donne - Tweet - Response - Statements - NBA

Donne's tweet was in response to statements NBA Commissioner Adam Silver made to Michelle Beadle about the lack of interest women have in women's basketball. According to Silver, middle-aged men make up the largest demographic that watches the WNBA. With the tweet and during the "Outside the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Trending
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.