Carey Mulligan On Returning To The Croisette With ‘Wildlife’ And A Startling Role That Could Be Oscar Bound – Cannes

Deadline | 5/6/2018 | Pete Hammond
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/wildlife-image-2.jpg?w=605

Premiere in Hollywood. In the Directors Fortnight there is the terrific Debra Granik film, Leave No Trace, first seen in Sundance, and in Critics Week there is another Sundance refugee, Paul Dano’s Wildlife which is opening the section May 9th as a “special screening”. I just was able to view the latter film here in New York on Friday ( where I have stopped for a Broadway binge a few days before heading to France) and was very impressed not only by Dano’s directorial debut , his script co-written with Zoe Kazan, but also by the performances from Jake Gyllenhaal ( also a producer in addition to his supporting role), Bill Camp , Ed Oxenbould, and especially Carey Mulligan who gathered sensational reviews in Sundance and clearly gives one of her finest performances , if not finest to date. That is saying something for an actress coming off great work in Mudbound , her most recent film and a fine collection of other performances in the past decade. Although there is much unknown still to be viewed among the Cannes selections I can say for sure there is definitely going to be strong fall awards buzz for her extraordinary turn as a Montana wife and mother circa 1960 stuck in a downward spiral as her marriage starts to crumble and the life she imagined for herself slowly slips away. Ed Oxenbould expertly plays her son who sees his “perfect” family falling apart and the film revolves mostly around them, with Gyllenhaal as her husband , and Camp as an employer with whom she has an affair while her husband is away attempting to find some misguided career direction as a firefighter. Watch an exclusive clip featuring Mulligan and Oxenbould by clicking the link above.

In a phone conversation Friday where she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?