Sweetbitter Cast, EPs Serve Up Tasty Bites About Starz's Restaurant Drama

TVLine | 5/4/2018 | Kimberly Roots
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/sweetbitter-dw.jpeg?w=630

Coming of age is tough enough. Coming of age while simultaneously trying to balance multiple hot plates on your arm? That takes talent.

“The three-plate carry was the hardest thing for me,” says star Ella Purnell (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children), who plays protagonist Tess in Starz’s series adaptation of Stephanie Danler’s 2016 novel Sweetbitter. The story follows 20-something Tess as she moves from Ohio to New York City in the early 2000s; once in town, she near-accidentally lands a tryout to be a back waiter/busboy at a posh Manhattan eatery named 22W and then must prove to the staff that she deserves the job.

Attention - Detail - Result - Danler - Involvement

That attention to detail is a direct result of Danler’s involvement in the adaptation of her first book. “I feel such a loyalty to the restaurant industry. It’s the only job I’ve ever had,” she says, referring to her tenure at New York City’s Union Square Café, from which she drew heavily when crafting Tess’ story. “As much as I wrote the book for anyone to read it, I wrote it as a tribute to this industry. It was really important to me to get it right in its highs and lows, beauty and ugliness. So we refused to cut corners.” She laughs, shooting a glance at Stuart Zicherman (The Americans), with whom she executive-produces the series. “Stu was all about television logic and emotional logic, and I was about restaurant logic.”

Sweetbitter‘s six-episode first season unfolds over Tess’ first few wide-eyed weeks at 22W, as she slowly befriends the cliquey waitstaff and soaks up everything — both sublime and squalid — that comes along from living in the Big Apple. She’s dazzled by FitzGerald’s Simone, a longtime server at the restaurant whose icy demeanor and thorough knowledge of wine comes off as sophisticated to the young...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!