‘Dear White People’ EPs on Season 2: Fake News, the Alt-Right, and a Secret Society

Variety | 5/4/2018 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/dwp_209_unit_00341r.jpeg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read until you’ve watched the second season of “Dear White People” on Netflix.

As with its first season, the sophomore outing of “Dear White People” doesn’t shy away from tackling hot topics — including the alt-right, racial bias, interracial relationships, and a mysterious secret society.

Pieces - Information - Citizens - Contact - Series

“I was getting into all of these historical pieces of information that we as American citizens don’t normally come into contact with unless we seek it out,” series creator Justin Simien tells Variety. “All of it kind of equaled, to me, the theme of being as sick as your secrets.”

And at the top of his list was the conversation about race. “The reason we can’t really have a meaningful relationship about race is because not everybody is on the same about what slavery was, how it ended, what happened after it ended — these are not things you’re taught in school, these are things you either learn because you’re black and you need or learn or because you sought out the information,” he says. “So the idea of misinformation and secrets felt really good in terms of the plot and where characters were going, but it also felt like a way to talk about this bigger thing that I felt happening in our country.”

Simien - Insane - Reaction - Show - Season

Simien was first “really oddly inspired” by the “insane” alt-right reaction to the show’s first season, and showrunner Yvette Lee Bowser adds that they also wanted to address the atmosphere of fake news. That’s what led to the story of Sam (Logan Browning) being harassed by an internet troll with incorrect information. Midway through the season he was revealed to be Winchester Independent writer Silvio (D.J. Blickenstaff).

It would have been “so expected and boring” had the harasser turned out to be a white person, explains Simien, who wanted to “twist...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...