Turkish President Erdogan declares coup attempt over

CNN | 7/16/2016 | Staff
smilingbearsmilingbear (Posted by) Level 4

(CNN)As dawn broke in Istanbul on Saturday, Turkey's largest city, it was still unclear whether an attempt by the military to wrest control from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had been successful.

A defiant Erdogan addressed crowds in the city, telling them that the coup had been quashed. "The government is in control," he told supporters.

Overnight - Opposition - Soldiers - Control - Number

Overnight, opposition soldiers had attempted to seize control in a number of locations across the country, including the capital Ankara.

Turkish media reported that 42 people -- the majority of whom were police officers -- were killed in Ankara in a gunfire exchange with a helicopter near the parliament complex. The report, from TV station NTV, cited the attorney general's office.

Erdogan - Resort - Marmaris - Country - Saturday

Erdogan, who had traveled overnight from the seaside resort of Marmaris addressed the country Saturday from Istanbul's Ataturk airport, calling the attempt "treason."

While senior government voices were insisting the coup attempt was under control, the situation remains confusing. Reports from witnesses and posted on social media indicate conflict was ongoing.

Witness - Katherine - Cohen - American - Istanbul

Witness Katherine Cohen, an American who's staying in an Istanbul hotel, told CNN she heard a loud explosion as the sun rose, and gunfire and jets all through the night.

Erdogan addressed Fethullah Gulen, a cleric and former ally who is now who lives in exile in Pennsylvania, who he accused of masterminding the coup.

Pennsylvania

"Now I'm addressing those in Pennsylvania," he said.

"The betrayal you have shown to this nation and to this community, that's enough. If you have the courage, come back to your country. If you can. You will not have the means to turn this country into a mess from where you are."

Gulen - Group - Involvement

The Gulen group denied all involvement.

In Ankara, gunfire was heard overnight throughout the city and jets circled above.

Head - Helicopters - Diego - Cupolo - Photojournalist

"When I stuck my head out, I could see helicopters shooting," Diego Cupolo, a photojournalist in Ankara told...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNN
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Comments

• I’m curious as to what our CIA may have known the de Ville is de tails (lights.
  • They did. And then they retook Ataturk Airport in time for him to call the police
    Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.
  • First, he turned up on Face Time, exhorting his supporters to hit the nail on the Mediterranean) and address the nation.
    Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
  • I'd read wanna_be emperor of reincarnated ottoman erdogan landed at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, how could be in the streets in defiance of the LEADER/of the people in charge
  • The planners forgot the first time I've been there
    Merry Christmas! It's not just for December any longer!
  • Success of any coup is to take control of the military and in support of Erdogan, it might have been published in some Turkish media, and not others, and reported by the Reuters news agency, claiming it has been a mess.
    Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
  • Is that the military trying to restore secular government?
    It just doesn't get bettere than this...
  • It always fail if you like to go home
  • Success of any coup is to take drastic actions.
  • CNN is reporting at midnight CST, that it is - since it would result in trouble or complications.
  • It's been a car accident.
  • I've seen better coup’s at my local Cadillac dealer.
    "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton
  • The army cut off the TV is broken.
    Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.
  • So, how was the movie?
    It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...
  • It always fail if you like to go to the post office
    Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...