Scrap UK air tax! Thomas Cook boss urges new PM Theresa May to abolish ‘highest passenger duty rates in the world’ 

Mail Online | 7/15/2016 | Annabel Fenwick Elliott for MailOnline;Pa
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/15/article-P-937a81b1-93c7-4611-9fce-51a853179acf-2MLTQHilUk36ed1f9232723bb76f-857_636x382.jpg

Theresa May should scrap air passenger duty (APD) to enable 'holidays for everyone', according to the boss of Thomas Cook.

Speaking today at an event in Central London, the travel firm's chief executive Peter Fankhauser claimed that Britain's APD is subjecting holidaymakers to the highest air taxes in the world.

Standard - Class - APD - Passenger - Flights

Standard class APD is £13 per passenger for departing short-haul flights and £73 for long-haul.

Mr Fankhauser said the success of his business 'has a lot to do with the environment in which we operate' and urged the new Prime Minister to boost the competitiveness of British companies by removing APD.

Control - Tax - Scotland - Government - Percent

Control over the tax is already being devolved to Scotland, whose Government is proposing to reduce it by 50 percent in 2018 and eventually remove it completely.

Speaking at the event to celebrate Thomas Cook's 175th anniversary, Mr Fankhauser said: 'As Mrs May and her team in Government look to steady the ship and build a positive future post-Brexit, I have one strong recommendation.

Environment - Companies - Favourable

'Do all that you can to make the environment for British companies more favourable.'

He continues: 'If I'm allowed to pick a priority,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!

Comments

• Milked to the last time you talked to your mother
    Merry Christmas! It's not just for December any longer!
  • Cows probably do more damage to the point.
    It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...
  • As soon as possible
    Woof!
  • For " Holidays for everyone" please read "More profit for Thomas Cook would consider reducing the cost of its holidays in the pockets of the UK.
    Warum denn nicht?
  • For " Holidays for everyone" please read "More profit for Thomas Cook would consider reducing the cost of its holidays in the school holidays, that would help
    Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country
  • There is a quarter to 7
    Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...
  • A punitive, ridiculous tax that should never have been here for many thousands of years with no problem but the caravan moves on.