To Great Things That Never Came

Desiring God | 3/21/2018 | Greg Morse
Sugar12 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/to-great-things-that-never-came-ohmkusfj-en/landscape/to-great-things-that-never-came-ohmkusfj-b3e4b897f0eabe6247d50df80493b18c.jpg?ts=1521131042&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

He went to see My Little Pony recently. I suppose that a little boy can enjoy My Little Pony, but a 19-year-old in the theater stands out.

My brother is a joy to our family. He shares jokes he doesn’t know he is telling, sings, laughs, and dances as if no one was watching. Even though we know each other deeply, I have never had the pleasure of having a genuine conversation with him.

Time - Autism - Scale - Disability - Wall

For a time, we wondered if he was ever going to speak. He was further along on the autism scale than most, and the disability created a wall around him that has been hard for his mother, father, sister, grandfather, and brother to scale. Like a sun blocked by chemical clouds, we have never fully experienced the full warmth of his spirit. Much has been lost in translation.

On days when I remember that, unless a miracle occurs, he will never marry, never have a career, never drive a car, never live alone, never participate in a Bible study, never hold a sustained conversation with his family, I wonder, where is God?

God - Heavens - Psalm - Healing - Brother

Our God is in the heavens and he does all that he pleases (Psalm 115:3). Is the healing of my brother not pleasing to him? I know that if God were only to speak the word, lame speech would rise, clouds in his mind would part, and the Jericho wall that is autism would come crashing down. Our spirits would finally commune together.

But nineteen years have passed. Although I’ve waited with face pressed against the windowsill, I haven’t seen anything appear upon the gravel road. Spring turned to fall, and fall to winter. Questions came, but the healing has not. The ache turns numb. The persistent widow becomes just a widow. That great thing — my brother’s healing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Merry Christmas! It's not just for December any longer!
Tagged: