Scientists say lighting a cosy fire at home is bad for your health and can be as dangerous as a building site because of carbon emissions

Mail Online | 2/20/2018 | Victoria Allen Science Correspondent For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo:

Lighting a fire at home may create a cosy atmosphere – but the warmth and glow now come with a health warning.

Scientists say householders should put on a mask before striking a match in their fireplace, or risk inhaling harmful fumes.

Family - Fireside - Mine - Building - Site

They say a family fireside can be as dangerous as a mine or building site when it comes to carbon emissions.

A potentially damaging number of particles are released, particularly when a fire is lit and as logs are first added. And it can take three hours to clear the pollution, after opening a window, a study led by Leon University in Spain found.

Experts - Smoke - Exposure - Ignite - Mask

British experts say the smoke exposure as logs ignite is too small for a mask to be necessary. But the researchers recommended that anyone not involved in lighting the fire should leave the room.

Pollution levels were recorded at the height at which people would inhale when sitting in a living...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!