‘Monster Hunt 2’ Showcases China’s Improvements – and Ambitions – in Animation

Variety | 2/18/2018 | Patrick Frater
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/raman-****-cr-rexfeatures_7929664h.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“Chinese animation is making great progress,” declared Raman ****, director of “Monster Hunt 2,” the smash-hit hybrid of live action and animation that played in a Special Gala screening Sunday at the Berlinale.

****’s is no empty boast: His family-oriented adventure film has just taken in $190 million in three days at the Chinese box office over the lunar new year holiday.

Monster - Hunt - Example - China - Forward

“Monster Hunt 2” is the latest and highest-profile example of China’s leap forward in the animation business. Also over the holiday weekend, the fifth Boonie Bears movie, “Boonie Bears: The Big Shrink,” earned $40 million; Netflix has just picked up rights to the franchise’s third installment. And China’s Light Chaser Animation is making a series of increasingly high-quality 3D animations.

**** spent his early career in Hollywood and was co-creator of “Shrek.” Speaking to Variety at the Berlin Film Festival, he said the improving Chinese animation industry allowed an increase in quantity and quality of CGI in “Monster Hunt 2.”

Asia - Animators - Operators - Steps - Animators

“When I first came back [to Asia], animators were mostly operators. I needed to tell them what to do and show them the steps. I’ve forced them to think, and they are doing so. That means I can ask the animators’ opinions more and ask for suggestions, where previously they’d be surprised that I was even asking,” said ****. “I hope to see more of this. It is good for the industry.”

Doing a sequel did not necessarily make the production much easier. “That’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.