‘Black Panther’ and the Longing for Home

The Gospel Coalition | 2/19/2018 | Staff
jenny124124 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/18194215/black-panther.jpg

When the Unicorn enters true Narnia at the end of C. S. Lewis’s beloved series, he bursts into an exclamation: “I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now.”

We relate to this ache for a place we’ve never been, the heavenly home for which we were created. We can barely wait for the fulfillment of our joy, when “hope shall change to glad fruition, faith to sight, and prayer to praise.”

Sounds - Paper - Life - Hits - Turmoil

That all sounds good on paper, but then real life hits: political turmoil, cultural upheaval, spiritual struggle, war, strife, persecution. The values of the kingdom of God sometimes seem far and remote, while the world around us feels like it’s the only thing that’s real.

The tension for the Christian, then, lies in how we live according to the values of home, when home is a place we’ve never seen. Can we be true to who we are as a people when we’re stretched and pressed and crushed by the values of an increasingly secular society? Are we to isolate ourselves from the world or immerse ourselves in it?

Tension - Christian - Values - Home - Home

The tension for the Christian lies in how we live according to the values of home, when home is a place we’ve never seen.

The apostle Peter writes that “you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light” (1 Pet. 2:9). We have our identity, and we have our marching orders. But what about the friction between who we are as kingdom citizens and who we are as citizens of other nations, scattered...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!