Breaking Free from the Bondage of Doubt

Brandon Cox | 2/25/2014 | Staff
TraightTraight (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://brandonacox.com/wp-content/uploads/Feelings-to-Faith.jpg

Not all doubt is bad. I once began to wonder if I’d left the car running in the garage, so I went to check and sure enough, it was! That mistake could have been harmful or deadly and it was my doubt that prompted me to check and see.

The Apostle Paul talked about the value of examining our hearts closely:

Examine - Faith - Yourselves - Jesus - Christ

Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith.

Just as we should seek out the wisdom of a physician when we feel something is wrong in our bodies, it’s healthy to examine our hearts to see if our doubts are telling us something.

Time - Doubt - Faith - Genuineness - Authority

At the same time, doubt can be destructive when we have confirmed our faith but still refuse to believe in the genuineness of it, or the authority or validity of God’s Word.

We can become downright obsessive about our doubts, which can often lead us to seek out more evidence against our faith and, as the Lorax warned us, a tree falls in the direction it leans.

Faith - Pillars - Faith

I believe our faith must be founded on multiple pillars, and personally I point to four with my faith.

The general revelation God has given us in nature. As apologist Glen Scrivener said, “Christians believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. Materialists believe in the virgin birth of the cosmos. Choose your miracle.” Nature itself, both its beauty and its complexity, strengthen my faith in a divine Designer.

Revelation - God - Scriptures - Bible - Particularly

The specific revelation God has given us in the Scriptures, the Bible. Particularly, the New Testament is the record of a historically verifiable event, the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The historic witness of millions of believers to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Brandon Cox
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
Tagged: