3 WAYS TO COACH YOUNG LEADERS WITHOUT FRUSTRATING THEM

CareyNieuwhof.com | 7/11/2019 | Staff
CarisCaris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/shutterstock_1048652885-1024x683.jpg

This is a blog post by Dillon Smith. Dillon is the content manager for Carey Nieuwhof Communications and a member of the Speaking Team. You can book Dillon to speak at your church, next event, or on for an interview on your podcast here.

Do you ever wonder how to best coach young leaders?

If you think back to when you were just starting out, you might remember how it felt to be told what you were doing wrong.

Too many senior leaders tell young team leaders what they’re doing wrong, but rarely explain to them how to do it right.

Age - Year - Half - Career - Work—I

At age 21—and a year and a half into my career work—I’ve found there are at least three things I regularly need coaching on.

And, in my time working at Carey Nieuwhof Communications, I’ve noticed 3 major things that Carey (my boss/coach) says that keep me motivated as a young employee.

Lot - Leaders - Desire - Mark - Actions

A lot of young leaders like me have the right desire, but we miss the mark because we don’t see how our actions impact others or how we missed the mark.

While no coaching is ever perfect, here are 3 ways Carey’s coached me that have really helped me make progress:

HERE - THE - THINGS - ABOUT - AND

1. “HERE ARE THE THINGS I CARE ABOUT, AND I WANT YOU TO CARE ABOUT THEM TOO.”

It’s hard to hit a target you can’t see.

Team - Clue - Numbers - Impact - Outcome

It’s deeply demotivating when your team has no clue whether the numbers they directly impact are up or down, or what the outcome are that you want them to hit.

So what should you do instead? Show them exactly what you’re trying to achieve.

Months - Occasions - Video - Call - Carey

Over the last 6 months, there have been multiple occasions where I have been on a video call with Carey and he takes control of the screen and says, “Here are the metrics I want you focusing on and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: