What Jesus Says About Sexuality in a #MeToo Age

The Gospel Coalition | 10/21/2019 | Sam Allberry
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/16135459/lightstock_641927_full_tgc-copy.jpg

It’s not often that a single tweet explodes into an enormous movement. But on October 15, 2017, Hollywood actress Alyssa Milano posted a tweet in response to the growing awareness of sexual abuse in the movie industry:

If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet.

Milano - Person - Issue - Others - Share

Milano wasn’t the only person speaking to this issue and encouraging others to share their own stories. But this tweet gained instant traction. The hashtag quickly became viral. The original tweet was posted around midday; by the end of the day the phrase “Me too” had been used on Twitter more than 200,000 times. Within a year, it had been used 19 million times—more than 55,000 times each day.

Many celebrities shared their stories, immediately raising the profile of the hashtag. Hollywood was quickly engulfed. Other parts of the entertainment industry soon followed. Stories of harassment and abuse spread in realms of politics, media, academia, and religion. A parallel #ChurchToo hashtag also emerged, as survivors of assault in churches or by church leaders shared their horrific experiences.

MeToo - Movement - Spotlight - Prevalence - Assault

The #MeToo movement has shone a spotlight on the prevalence of sexual assault. Around 20 percent of American women have been sexually assaulted. Exact figures are hard to come by, of course, since these are extremely difficult stories for people to share, for a host of reasons. But as many are opening up for the first time, we are gaining a truer understanding of the prevalence of these brutalities. Men, too, are opening up about experiences of being sexual assaulted and harassed. Some men are also acknowledging failures in their own past behavior toward women.

In this context, we can see Jesus’s challenging teaching with fresh beauty: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep