AN ADVENTIST HIGHER EDUCATION CONVERSATION WITH RICHARD OSBORN

spectrummagazine.org | 10/18/2019 | Staff
adele2234adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://spectrummagazine.org/sites/default/files/2019-10-18-podcast-transcript.png

Editor’s Note: This interview was originally recorded for Spectrum’s podcast “Adventist Voices.” Listen to this podcast episode by clicking here.

Alexander Carpenter: I have a particularly joyful feeling in talking with you because you are the president who hired me for my first job in higher education.

Richard - Osborn - Addition - College

Richard Osborn: I remember when that happened, and you were a great addition to our college.

AC: Thanks. Well, what I'd like to do today is talk about the state of higher education, specifically Adventist higher education. What has been your day to day experience in education?

RO - Years - Adventist - Church - K-12

RO: I spent 39 ½ years working for the Seventh-day Adventist Church in K-12 as well as higher education. I served at every level. Seventh and eighth grade teacher, elementary and academy principal, college president, and a superintendent and union VP for Education. I was the first individual with the title of Vice President for Education for the North American Division. In the last 10 years, I've been a Vice President at the WASC Senior College and University Commission. We are the accreditors for most of the senior universities in California and Hawaii and 12 international institutions. For example, we accredit all ten University of California campuses, the 23 members of the California State University system, the University of Hawaii system, Stanford University, the University of Southern California (USC), and a bunch of places of which no one has heard, as well as the three church-sponsored Adventist institutions in our region. Obviously for conflict of interest reasons, I'm not involved in their accreditation. I've had a vast experience now in working with a huge variety of institutions. Also, I was president of Pacific Union College for eight years. That's where we worked together, Alex, up until about 10 years ago.

AC: What is your sense of the state of higher education...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!