On Being Not Just Right but Redemptive

(in)courage | 9/23/2019 | Staff
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/09232019_PatriciaRaybon_FarBetter.jpg

It’s still dark out, not quite dawn, so I stir. Then rising, I sit for a beat or two on my side of the bed.

“Read to me,” my husband mumbles.

Request - Devotion

I hear him. I love him. I’m grateful for his request. But can I be honest? I don’t want to read to him right now – not even to read our devotion, which is what he’s asking from me.

First, the sun’s not even up. We’ve had a long, full, messy kind of week, and now it’s Saturday. So, just for a minute, I’d like to sit here on my bed, meet the day, ease into the morning, and maybe get a blessed reprieve from the Lord.

Article - Horror - Hurricane - Dorian - Something

I’d also like to finish this article. It’s due soon, and after the recent horror of Hurricane Dorian, I’m trying to write something faith-related about climate change. A friend and I struggle to talk about it. I’m green. She’s not. So we’ve been at a standoff, and that too feels hard and heavy, maybe even heartbreaking.

So, what now, Lord? How can I give my husband more time? Make peace with my friend? Finish my article? And love You better, too?

Prayer - God - Answers

It’s another “little” prayer, but doesn’t praying it and asking God for answers make me right?

I don’t hear His reply, so for a break, I take myself outside to my humble little garden. Puttering a bit in the soil, I pull weeds, deadhead flowers, water the thirsty, prune the disobedient.

Tending - Breaths - Neighbor - Street - Waves

In the tending, I take some deep breaths and feel myself relax. A neighbor across the street comes outside too and waves. She and I meet in the middle of our street and chat a bit. Then, as praying people would expect, I start to hear from the Lord.

A gentle answer turns away wrath.

Proverbs

It comes from Proverbs 15:1....
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.