How Abortion Normalizes Unjust Killing

Desiring God | 9/20/2019 | Scott Klusendorf
oxboy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/i-am-doing-god-s-work-ooqad2jb-en/landscape/i-am-doing-god-s-work-ooqad2jb-6245521aeaa6f8ad1c3a9185b7cf2b2b.jpg?ts=1568481873&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

We’ve turned a page in the abortion debate, or so abortion advocates hope.

In 1992, Bill Clinton campaigned on the premise that abortion should be “safe, legal, and rare.” As to why it should be rare, he never told us. Indeed, during his two terms as president, Clinton rejected every attempt to limit the abortion license. He even vetoed a bill that said you can’t pierce the skull of a partially born fetus and suck out his brain. Abortion, though bad, was necessary to preserve the health of women. Politically, he got away with it. For millions of Americans, it was enough that Clinton felt sorry about abortion.

Way

We’ve come a long way since then. In 2019, we aren’t supposed to feel sorry anymore.

Instead, abortion advocates insist that we make peace with abortion. In her book Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights, feminist Katha Pollitt says we should stop apologizing for the practice. She asks, “Why can’t a woman just say, This wasn’t the right time for me?” (10). Only those with a deep contempt for the female sex question her saying so. In short, Pollitt insists that it’s an affront to women when pro-choice advocates settle for anything less than legal abortion on demand and without apology. And she’s not the least bit sorry if that offends her opponents.

Look - Landscape - Shout - Abortion - T-shirts

She’s not alone. Take a look at the cultural landscape. We now have “Shout Your Abortion” T-shirts coupled with social media campaigns like “Kids, Meet Someone Who’s Had an Abortion” — all attempts to self-justify abortion and empty it of any shame.

The political world took quick notice. With the 2020 presidential elections approaching, rival candidates from one major political party raced to outdo one another in their support for abortion. In New York, the Democratic governor signed legislation repealing protections for children who survive abortion...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: