Disabled 28-stone man angry that his back door hasn't been widened

Mail Online | 9/17/2019 | Richard Spillett for MailOnline
PaMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/18/00/18600736-0-image-a-38_1568763083288.jpg

A disabled man says his house is a death trap because his housing association won't make the back door wide enough for him to get out.

Darren Burns, who weighs 28 stone and uses a wheelchair, fears he wouldn't be able to get out of his home in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire in the case of a fire.

Lincolnshire - Housing - Partnership - Property - Front

Lincolnshire Housing Partnership, which owns the property, has widened the front and interior doors to help make the bungalow more accessible.

But Mr Burns is concerned that the back door is not wide enough for him to get out of, meaning if a fire prevented him from getting to the front door he would be trapped. It also means he cannot use his back garden.

Arthritis - Age - Hip - Problem - Mobility

The 48-year-old has suffered from arthritis since the age of 13 and has a hip problem that reduces his mobility.

He says he has put on extra weight after he was involved in a car crash two years ago that left him needing the use of a wheelchair.

House - Authority - Exit - People - Lottery

He said of his house: 'The authority says they're only responsible to provide one exit. However, some people get two. It's like a lottery.

'If there's a fire at the front of the house and that is blocked, the fire service said they'd have difficulty getting me out because I'm a big guy.

House - Cent - Perfect - Door - Entry

'All I wanted was to get settled and sorted out. They made the house 90 per cent perfect but what they didn't do was a door entry system.

'I don't want everyone having keys and having a key box frightens the life out of me because they're not impenetrable. I have anxiety so I would never sleep again.'

Mr - Burns

Mr Burns says he is trying to lose...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: