How to Fight for Diversity as a Pastor

The Gospel Coalition | 9/17/2019 | Stephen Murray
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/14114550/zoe-reeve-xjJd9fu9OkM-unsplash-copy.png

It wouldn’t be hard to make the case that Cape Town is the most racially divided city on the planet. As a white South African pastor, therefore, I knew diversity needed to be near the top of my agenda when attempting to plant a church here.

Twenty-five years after apartheid formally ended, its geography remains. White neighborhoods are cut off from black neighborhoods by freeways, train lines, and, of course, the poverty line.

City - Church - God - Promise - People

So if there’s one city where the church must prophetically preach God’s gospel promise to create a multinational, multiethnic people for himself, it’s Cape Town (okay, I know almost every planter has such feelings about his city—add me to the list).

Seeing a diverse church planted here poses immense challenges. Gentrification has ravaged our city, forcing poorer black families out of the city center to make room for young white professionals. Language and class barriers only amplify the division. More than that, our fight for diversity is not for the purpose of a manicured picture of black-and-white believers singing songs together. Rather, it’s a fight against centuries-old structures of evil and sin that have harmed and divided image-bearers of God.

Fight - Diversity - Purpose - Picture - Believers

Our fight for diversity is not for the purpose of a manicured picture of black-and-white believers singing worship songs together.

By God’s grace, we’ve labored to see the fruit of Matthew 28:19, that all nations might come to love and worship Jesus. We’ve longed for an earthly glimpse of Revelation 7:9, where every nation, tribe, people, and tongue will come and worship before the Lamb seated on his throne.

Decade - Church - Planting - Cape - Town

In more than a decade of church planting in Cape Town, we’ve attempted to address racial issues in many ways. We’ve taught seminars on racial and economic justice. We’ve invited black pastors from the city to come preach and share their experience of living...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.
Tagged: