The Privilege of Intercession

ChurchLeaders | 7/21/2019 | Staff
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/7.22.HOME_.CC.Intercession.jpg

“So the men turned from there and went towards Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the Lord.”

This begins the last part of Genesis 18, where Abraham intercedes for Sodom. The whole picture is Sodom and Gomorrah and rampant evil in these cities and the judgment of God coming upon them, but this picture in Genesis 18:22 is so strong because Abraham, knowing that God is just and right, which he says later in Verse 25, “Shall not the judge of all the earth do what is just,” he stands in the gap for Sodom and Gomorrah and he intercedes for these cities. He prays for them, he prays for God to not show his judgment. “If there are 50 righteous people, will you sweep them away,” Abraham says, and God says, “No. I won’t.” Abraham presses in even more and says, “Okay, what about 45? Or 40?” Abraham just keeps pressing in, like, “God, please, show your grace and show your mercy in this place.”

Genesis - Picture - Privilege - Intercession - God

Genesis 18 is a powerful picture of the privilege of intercession, how God calls us to stand still before him and to plead on behalf of those who are in need, to pray on behalf of those who may be facing his judgment to come, to intercede for them and pray for God to have mercy. We see this in all kinds of different points through scripture. God has ordained prayer as a means by which he acts, he responds to our praying. We see this all over scripture, and so, I just want to encourage you today, even in my own life, today, to realize in a fresh way the privilege we have of intercession and to pray like it matters. To stand still before God and to pray for people in need, to pray...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep