Our Worth Is Not in What We Own

Desiring God | 7/17/2019 | John Piper
darkkazune (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/our-worth-is-not-in-what-we-own-hieuwrmi-en/landscape/our-worth-is-not-in-what-we-own-hieuwrmi-18ae3768f35e1d83eaad1daa8a503009.jpg?ts=1562959894&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

After the congregation sang “My Worth Is Not in What I Own,” John Piper presented this gospel message at the Sing! Belfast conference.

Subscribe to the John Piper Sermons Podcast, available in iTunes, YouTube, RSS, and more.

God - Authority - Underneath - Song - Rock

Let’s put God’s absolute authority underneath that song like a rock foundation, so that you don’t feel that song just as poetic sentiment or musical pleasure alone, but as unshakable reality. And I have in mind not just the thousands of believers in this room, but the hundreds of you who have come, by providence, that you might believe.

We are unworthy of Christ, and we have great worth because of Christ, at the cross.

Worth - Treasure - Christ - Cross

With all your worth, you are not your own treasure; Christ is, at the cross.

Trust that looks away from self to Christ becomes the ultimate satisfaction of the self, at the cross.

Time - God - Authority - Soul

Let’s take those one at a time and put God’s authority underneath them, and I invite you to hear for your own soul.

We are unworthy of Christ, and we have great worth because of Christ. The final verse of “My Worth Is Not in What I Own” went like this:

Wonders

Two wonders here that I confess:

At the cross.

Sentences - Bible - Christ - Jesus - World

One of the most beautiful sentences in the Bible is that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” (1 Timothy 1:15). What is sin? Sin is a mindset that prefers other things more than God, and therefore sin exchanges God for created things. And therefore sin belittles God, demeans God, is rebellious against God.

That’s who we are — every one of you. We are that way. “None is righteous, no, not one” (Romans 3:10). Christ died for us, not because we are worthy, but because we are unworthy, and there was no other way for us to be made worthy.

We are saved by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: