Netflix Pickup ‘I Lost My Body,’ ‘Buñuel,’ ‘Away’ Top Annecy Festival

Variety | 6/15/2019 | John Hopewell
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/sdlc3.png?w=700&h=393&crop=1

ANNECY, France — Fulfilling expectations, Jeremy Clapin’s “I Lost My Body, the subject of one of the highest-profile Netflix deals at this year’s Cannes, won this Saturday the Annecy Festival’s top Cristal Award of best feature plus, in a relatively rare Annecy double whammy, the festival’s Audience Award.

The first was expected, the second a sign of the broad appeal of a movie whose premise – a severed hand desperately attempting to be reunited with its body – seems a highly unlikely point of departure for a movie of any kind.

Masterpiece - Critics - My - Body - Peter

Hailed as a masterpiece by many critics “I Lost My Body was described by Peter Debruge in his Variety review as “one of the strangest ideas ever committed to animation — a severed hand seeks answers,” which “ultimately proves to be one of the medium’s most profound offering.”

With the 2019 Annecy Jury mention going to Salvador Simo’s “Buñuel in the Labyrinth of Tortoises,” a Gkids pickup for North America, the true events story of Luis Buñuel’s shooting 1933’s “Land Without Bread” – whose very animated documentary format serves to give the whole film a near surreal tinge, Annecy’s 2019 major 2019 kudos can be seen to celebrate...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!