How Jesus of Nazareth Transformed the World: Women and Children

Townhall | 4/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/s1280x720/2014/61/91708fe9-1e65-4df6-8a52-bdec3c0150da.jpg

Popcorn Lung, Formaldehyde, and Now Seizures, Oh My!

As Christians around the world enter the holiest weekend of the year, non-Christians as well should be grateful for the life of Jesus of Nazareth. As I show in my book, Christianity and the World: Essays Philosophical, Historical, and Cultural (Stairway Press 2017), there isn’t a facet of 21st century human life, particularly life in Western civilization, that doesn’t bear the impress of the religion that has informed the collective consciousness of European peoples for the last two millennia.

Reverend - D - James - Kennedy - Jesus

As the Reverend D. James Kennedy puts it, Jesus of Nazareth is “the greatest man who ever lived” and “has changed virtually every aspect of human life [.]” He adds that “its humble origins” aside, “the Church has made more changes on earth for the good than any other movement or force in history.”

This is undeniably true.

Rodney - Stark - Sociologist - Religion - Period

Rodney Stark is a sociologist of religion who informs us that in the Greco-Roman period into which Jesus entered, it was “legal” and “morally accepted…by all social classes” for parents to abandon “unwanted female infants and deformed male infants [.]” It was also endemic. No more than six of 600 families reared more than one daughter.

Stark alludes to a letter written from a Greek man to his pregnant wife in which the man directs his wife to “take good care of our baby son” until he returns home. However, if she gives birth to a girl, then she is to “discard it.”

Roman - Empire - Males - Females - Reveals

That throughout the Roman Empire there were as many as 140 males for every 100 females reveals just how pervasive were the practices of infanticide and abortion vis-à-vis girls.

Things weren’t much better for women in Athens. It is worth quoting Stark at length:

Girls - Education - Females

"Girls received little or no education. Typically, Athenian females were married at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Townhall
Wake Up To Breaking News!